Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Balboa Island


Yesterday, I went to Balboa Island with my friend, Dori to meet up with Marj and her group. It was nice and cool and the sun never did burn through the clouds but I still got a little sun. I think there was about ten of us, sketching, pastels and watercolors. This is the Pavillion across the bay. As I was sketching the boat, I looked up and realized that my ship had sailed!
The bay is a great place to sail around in these little sailboats call Sabots. They were stacked all along the beach. The kids take lessons and sail back and forth and around and around. There were lots of kids running up and down the boardwalk and many stopped to see what we were doing and to comment on our work. All good! I couldn't resist the bright geraniums and their crinkley leaves.
Robert Bateman 5" x 7" Sketchbook
Pen and Watercolor

7 comments:

mARTa said...

One of my favorite placed to go during summer! I sketched the pavillion last summer. We are thinking of going there this weekend to kayak!

trailbee said...

I learned how to sail in a sabot, and later was able to take our boat onto the ocean! Oh, to be young again.

artista said...

DEBORAH.... THE BOATS ARE EXUISITE.

caseytoussaint said...

These are wonderful sketches - you really captured an atmosphere. I've put this on my list of places I ant to go!

Desiree's Designs said...

Hi Deborah, I love your sketches and as I was reading your blog I realized how much we have in common! I grew up in Tustin and we used to have a house in Laguna Percibu, which is 13 south of San Felipe, we spent so much time there! I miss it so much, as do my kids that spent much of their childhood there. We no longer own the round house that sat right on the beach! Sounds like you are having a great summer.

Teri said...

Great sketches-so full of life and atmosphere!

Unknown said...

You definitely captured a beautiful day. How fun! I never knew about a sabot. Thanks for sharing.