Sunday, March 9, 2008

Costa Rica - Sketch Adventure

I am back from a fabulous trip to Costa Rica! I
signed up for a sketching tour in Costa Rica with
Jan Yatsko and "Wow" what a great way to see the country. It was a small group of four participants and we had lots of fun, laughter and creativity. Jan does a fantastic job with setting up the tour arrangements and getting those creative and artist juices flowing. This page is the first day around the hotel before dinner.

There were creativity exercises for each day, they were fun and made you think. This page was the result of sitting for 10 minutes and really taking in your surroundings. I awoke one morning to the birds singing. Laying there in the early morning light I tried to separate each bird's song and then translated those sounds into words. Most times you can hear the birds but not see them. The songs seem to be coming out of the trees.
One day we took the tico "local" train to the beach from Atenas. It was a little over two hours and lots of fun on a rickity tickity train with the locals. There was singing and dancing as well as beautiful scenery. A pulperia is a snack shack. We also stopped by a fruit stand on the way back. Did you know you only get one nut from the fruit of a cashew?
Don't forget those postal cancellation stamps.
Jan has a wonderful driver, Adrian. He has been with her for five years and is a wonderful addition to her tour. This is my drawing of our van. I added stickers of some of the places and cities we went to. "ATW" stands for all terrain women as we were ready to go no matter the road! After the tour my friend, Dianne and I spent four more days on our own. We hired Adrian as our driver for our last day and were so glad to spend more time with him. What a gem of a man! Robert Bateman Sketchbook Pen and Watercolor


9 comments:

Dewberry Fine Art said...

I just love the fact that you go! Love the sketches and the words. You are an inspiration. Thanks for your comments on my blog...means a lot.

Sandy said...

Wow what lively sketches, I can see the creative juices are bubbling big time - FUNn sketches, and I have learned about Costa Rica too! Thanks for taking us along.

Teri said...

Everything looks so fabulous and I can see and hear how much fun you had!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful sketches! You do travel! And the fun shines through in your sketches. where are you off to next?
ronell

Lynn said...

What a fabulous way to remember your trip. Those sketches are wonderful and spontaneous.

mARTa said...

can't wait to see these in person! Looks like you had a grand time and got some nice sketching in also. Lively colors!!! I too can hear the trees singing!!!!

Anonymous said...

An A+ to Silverwoman who mantained the "open mind of a beginner" always ready to capture new adventures and lessons that I threw her way while in Costa Rica. Anybody else ready to experience her CR adventure?

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb. Love your blog. We had fun in Costa Rica, didn't we? Love the bus. You and Jan inspired me to sketch even tho I am most certainly a beginner.

caseytoussaint said...

What an amazing series of posts - thank you for taking us along! Your sketches are really wonderful!