Thursday, March 31, 2016

Boys and a straw……



Two of my nephews, Joey and Johnny, came for a little visit last week and of course we headed straight to the studio.  I taped 10" x 10" pieces of print paper to acrylic plates and adding a few drops at a time of high flow black acrylic paint, they used straws to blow the dots of paint around the paper.

This one is Joey's who is 10 yrs.



After we felt there were enough of the black lines we used a hair dryer to make sure it was nice and dry.  Next came the brushes and the watercolor to fill in areas with bright colors.
We think they are very cool!

This one is Johnny's who is 8 yrs.



This was a scrap of print paper that I used as a demo piece to show the boys how to use the straw to blow the paint as well as a demo for the watercolor.


Have to say I like the abstract quality in this one.


6" x 12"


Then in my Print class on Friday I decided to try a monotype using a variation of the straw technique.  Because my inks are water based I rolled on some color creating a background first.  I then thinned out some of the black ink with water to get a more fluid black.  It was hard to get it to flow very far but still interesting.  Of course as I was rolling on the background I thought to myself what are you thinking, "You don't even have a straw!" so looking around I found a ballpoint pen I could take apart and use the barrel as a straw.

Guess I need to add straws to my art box.


5.5" x 14"

No comments: