Thursday, September 22, 2011

Peru and Machu Picchu

I was lucky enough to spend four days in Peru on my way to the Galapagos.  The smears of color are pigments for dying the wool from llamas and alpacas.  The horizontal line is crushed beetles and the vertical lines of color are made by using different liquids to make the various pigments.




Two of my days in Peru were spend up at Machu Picchu which is magical.  Our first day was rainy and cloudy with wonderful mist coming and going.  The second day was bright and sunny with blue skies. I was able to do some sketching the second day along with more exploring of this fabulous place.



After Machu Picchu we spend a day in Cusco, visiting more sights and some museums. It was great to learn so much about the Inca, an amazing people.  It was a beautiful trip with great sights,  wonderful people and fantastic food.  Very inspirational!


Robert Bateman 6" x 12"
Sketchbook
Pen and Watercolor

6 comments:

Alex said...

Awesome journal pages Deborah. I like how you smeared those actual colors =) That's unmistakeably authentic!
Love all the objects drawn as well

jeanette, mistress of longears said...

Fantastic pages - I envy you this trip!

Cathy Holtom said...

There are so many interesting things to look at on your pages. Love the colours for the wool!

Unknown said...

Fascinating! I loved hearing about the dyes and seeing the results of the different additives. Excellent sketchbook pages. It really makes me want to go explore some place with my sketchbook! Very inspiring!

Sasa said...

Great pages! I especially like the first one. Lovely colors!

Anonymous said...

I love these sketches. All the little artifacts give such a feel of the place!