Friday, June 19, 2009

Samurai Exhibit

Back for a visit to our great little Bowers Museum.  This time I went with Penny to view the Samurai Exhibit.  As you entered there were two cases with the Samurai Armor,  I don't know how they could move let alone ride a horse in all that gear.  It was fun but challenging to sketch one with all the layers and textures.

There were beautiful swords and mountings.  Most of the handles were made of shark skin which were very bumpy. Oh, how I wanted to run my fingers over it!  These beautiful little cases were for medicine, held closed by the cord they had layered compartments. They eventually became fashion statements. 

Robert Bateman Sketchbook
Pen and Watercolor

13 comments:

sketchbookbuttons said...

beautiful drawings- cool exhibit

Lindart said...

Lovely drawings! I love Samurai exhibits. One of my fav movies is the Samurai one with Tom Cruise. They are wearing full regalia in the movie.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Just lovely!

Leigh said...

How beautiful. Makes me wish I could have been there...

Florence's Art said...

Great drawings. What detail. It looks like a very interesting exhibit.

Ash said...

Looks great !texture is fun.

Margaret Ann said...

Beautiful pages... I love the way you compose your sketchbook spreads...little treasures in every corner! Love the medicine containers... :)

Dewberry Fine Art said...

I wish I had gone. Great drawings.

Alex said...

Oh Wow Deborah! I mean, you truly captured the details there and nobody can ever deny that! It's so hard to draw the samurai armor and I know that because I've tried it and it didn't look good. :) Thank you so much for your comments, and the couple do like what they saw like you said they would ^^

SarahGaunt said...

Brilliant drawings!

Anonymous said...

Lovely sketches!
You must be in the south of France by now? Hope you enjoy
Ronell

Annie Jeffries said...

I'll bet this is a fascinating exhibit. Did you see the Terra Cotta Warriors? I would have loved seeing that. I did the next best thing and ordered some keepsakes from the museum shop.

artista said...

glad you are back.