Monday, October 29, 2007

More Sketches from Provence

These are sketches around the domaine on the first day. All the shutters on the doors and windows were this lovely shade of turquoise. I am a real sucker for water pumps.
I still love those grids. They are such a fun way to add those little interesting stippets of the day.
And another waterpump.
The caveau is where you can buy some of that great French wine.
This page is a sketchwalk around the domaine. A sketchwalk is walking around an area with your sketchbook and and doing a quick drawing and then move onto the next interesting thing that catches your eye. No sitting down on this one.

Oh Look! Another waterpump. This one was made into a water fountain. The niche is on the walk of the chartruese. The wall was covered with lots of old vines.
The vines covering these doorways were actually very old grape vines. Another metal sign for a caveau. I couldn't leave France without sketching the vinyard. These were some very old vines outside the chartruese. The colors of the leaves were starting to change.
This is my sketch of a rusty old barge on the Rhone River on the way into town. We walked past this on our way to and from town. On one of the last days I notice the "no anchoring" sign, but I guess it's okay to run aground.
All of these are in my 6" x 9" Robert Bateman Sketchbook with pen and watercolor on prepped pages.



16 comments:

Sandy said...

These are so lively and fresh, I just returned from my first trip to Paris and definitely want to see Provence, thanks for sharing

Lin said...

Delightful, Deborah!!! The trip looks heavenly!

Nina Johansson said...

Wow, these are so beautiful. I love how you have filled the pages with different drawings and made them into a single layout - it is very interesting and eye catching. Great work!

Teri said...

Each sketch is so wonderful. You drew everything so interestingly. Great travel book.

joanieART said...

Looking at your journal pages make me go all warm and fuzzy inside! So lovely. What do you mean about "prepared" Robt Bateman sketchbook...i use the same sketchbook for my color washes....but what's to prepare?
Blessings,
joanie@balsamicmoon.com

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful collection of paintings! Every detail of your time in Provence has been captured - beautifully. I also would love to know what you mean by "preparing the pages."

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful travel sketches in an obviously beautiful place. How fun! A feast for the eyes and tummy!

Anonymous said...

Amazingly beautiful journaling! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

Anonymous said...

I am sitting at my computer drinking a red French wine and enjoying your sketches. They are wonderfully observed and spontaneous.

Dee said...

What a delight! I love water pumps, too. We had them on the farms where I grew up. Most of them are gone now, wish I had pictures of them all. Wonderful sketches of your travel, great keepsakes.

Anonymous said...

these sketches are all delightful1 I love your waterpumps and once again the oulay on your pages are beautiful...so many interesting views you've captured!
ronell

mARTa said...

Oh how beautifully you captured all of Provence! I think we need to plan a sketch day soon...maybe the holiday season? and we must spend some time looking over each other's travel sketches!!!
and I too want to know how you 'prep' pages.
thanks for coming along on my trip also. It was fun to bring everyone along!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful set of pages you have here! It sounds like a great trip. I was always curious about Mari's trips - nice to hear a report.

artista said...

you are so productive!!!!!!!!!!!!

caseytoussaint said...

Oh - where do I start? You really captured the atmosphere beautifully. I love the blue shutters and the row of trees - and, really, all of it!

Anonymous said...

These are so charming! Nice work!